Want to win a spa/mentoring weekend with me and Sarah Mae?
WE ARE SO GRATEFUL TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE HELPED US PROMOTE THE BOOK!
Without your generous help and encouragement, we would never have made it to the top 100 list on Amazon and Barnes and Noble--and now already into the second printing. We are so excited to be a part of a movement of wonderful moms all over the world who are building community and support in gaining strength and hope as moms. So exciting and you are such a wonderful part of this. Thanks a gazillion!
HOW NOT TO EXPLODE: MOVING FROM DESPERATE TO CALM--REGULARLY!
I get a giggle out of this little saying, because it is so true ... "Mothers of little boys work from son up to son down."
It certainly works that way for mothers of little girls, too--and the sun being down doesn't seem to have much effect sometimes, as breaks in my sleep from asthma, ear infections, bad dreams, etc. can disturb even that!
The pressures of being a mom aren't small, and they don't only come when you are ready for them. Since we know they're coming, the trick is getting ready for them in advance! Today, I wanted to share a few things that have helped me over the years to not explode under the pressures of being a mom!
- A bit of variety. Though it seems there's little chance of it happening now, when my children were young I found that if life got too stale, I would go under. So I made it a priority to create adventure for me and for my children! We would take a trip to the park or the zoo, meet with friends for a picnic, or get in the car and drive just to shake things up a bit.
- A bit of quiet for me. If I am around people all the time for days and months at a time, I will indeed explode! Clay and I figured out that I could go to a coffee shop early a couple of days a week at 6 a.m. and have coffee and a quiet time and write in my journal and then come home by 7:45 a.m.--before he left for work--and I felt like a different person. I can't live without my quiet time, to think and plan and get perspective. (or my quiche and coffee!)
- A bit of quiet for them ... okay, all of us. Each season was different. I had each child have a quiet hour every afternoon in the early years--I would put books and fun magazines in a basket for them and let them have a cup of something to drink--like hot cocoa, white grape juice, tea,--and then they would all have to stay in their own areas for an hour. It helped my kids to become readers and to learn to enjoy time alone, un-entertained. But it also gave me time to look forward to every day, where I could have my own cup of tea that no one else could drink and a little time to regroup or rest or make a phone call. I trained them early and gave great rewards for being able to stay in their rooms--it happened little by little but oh the rewards!
Of course, these ideas are not meant to become standards for you--you might want something different or have a whole different set of preferences to work with!
Have you picked up your copy of Desperate yet? SarahMae and I wrote this book to encourage moms to find their strength in God, to listen to their soul's cry, to understand the wonderful importance of their calling as moms and to rest in God's grace with their children each day. We're so excited about the wonderful feedback we're getting on the book and pray it will be an encouragement to thousands of moms.
Consider gathering a small group and reading it together! There are wonderful giveaways happening each day at Desperatemom.com; don't miss them!
The New Gifts for Those Who Purchase 8 or More Copies of Desperate!
Convergence - Parenting: Helping Your Kids to Become Adults Conversations with Donald Miller and Dr. John Townsend
Enter into a conversation with Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz) and Dr. John Townsend (Boundaries) about parenting and what the Bible has to say about raising kids. This DVD explores how God designed parenting, why it is so challenging, and ultimately the rewards that come from the process of helping kids grow up.
All-Together if you purchase 8 copies of Desperate this week:
- One free custom print from Red Letter Words (400 available)
- One free “Mother’s Love” art print (unlimited)
- *New! Convergence DVD: Parenting: Helping Your Kids to Become Adults - Conversations with Donald Miller and Dr. John Townsend
- Desperate, a DVD Companion study (available in March)
Very Important if You Want to Receive Your Gifts!
In order to receive these free gifts, please email a copy of your receipt and your mailing address to email@example.com. This “Launch Week Giveaway” is running from 12:00am EST on 1/7/2013 to 11:59EST on 1/12/2013. Your receipt must show the purchase of 5 or more copies of the book during this time period to receive your free gift. Once your receipt has been reviewed, you will be sent an email confirmation and further details on the delivery of your gift.
Open to U.S. only.
(It's less than $10 at Amazon!)
Today's Giveaway - FREE Coffee for a YEAR from Avodah Coffee!
Today my friends, you have a chance to win a years worth of coffee! Just think, freshly roasted coffee delivered to your door each month for a year. You can just smell it now, can't you? Up for grabs:
- Two bags of Avodah coffee a month, for a year!
All you have to do is fill out the form below!